How much product do I need?
Typically 4″ of topsoil or mulch is a standard depth. 1 yard will cover 81 sq. ft., 4″ thick. To calculate how much you need:
- Get the area of your coverage (length times width)
- Determine the depth of product you will need. If you want it 4″ deep, divide the area measurement by 81. This gives you yardage needed for a 4″ depth.
(Divide by 162 for a 2″ depth.)
(Divide by 362 for a 1″ depth.)
I need Garden Mix for a 4′ x 8′ grow box. I want the Garden mix to be 12″ deep.
- 4′ x 8′ is the length and width.
- 32′ is the area.
- 32 divided by 27 = 1.19 cubic yards needed to fill my grow box. 1 heaping yard would be sufficient.
I need Top Soil for my front yard. I want the Top Soil to be 4″ deep.
- 20′ x 20′ is the length and width.
- 400′ is the area.
- 400 divided by 81 = 4.94 cubic yards needed of Top Soil at 4″ thick. 5 yards would be sufficient.